Librarian recommendations for faculty
There are many excellent resources. Here are a few that may address your most urgent questions:
- Fair Use Checklist To help instructors make decisions about using copyrighted material
- Know Your Copy Rights: What You Can Do from the Association of Research Libraries
- Exceptions for Instructors in US Copyright Law
- Using Copyrighted Works in your Teaching—FAQ: Questions Faculty and Teaching Assistants Need to Ask Themselves Frequently by Peggy Hoon, J.D., Visiting Scholar for Campus Copyright and Intellectual Property, Association of Research Libraries
Please Read this:
The Legal Stuff
- Stanford University Libraries Copyright and Fair Use:
- Lessig talks Fair Use
- Chilling Affects
- Copyright Resources links from Teaching Copyright website
- Critical Commons “Critical Commons provides information about current copyright law and its alternatives in order to facilitate the writing and dissemination of best practices and fair use guidelines for scholarly and creative communities.”
- Codes of Best Practices for Fair Use [Center for Social Media]
- Creative Commons Information about making our own work more accessible
- Open Video Alliance A coalition of organizations and individuals devoted to creating and promoting free and open technologies, policies, and practices in online video.
- Out of Fear, Colleges Lock Books and Images Away From Scholars
- That Would Be a No Outcome from a judge’s ruling could make buying a used textbook illegal (if the book was made overseas).
- Fair Use Victories on the DMCA - “Another victory for common sense and fair use came today from the Librarian of Congress, acting on recommendations from Copyright Office. The latest ruling on exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act greatly expands access to encrypted, copyrighted works for fair use purposes.”
Copyright laws and fair use apply to students too! Use the links below to find information that will help you make informed choices about using the copyrighted work of others.
- "What Students Should Know About Copyright" from Maricopa Community Colleges
- Student Copyright Guidelines from Washburn University
- About Plagiarism: